Do you like my visitor counter? This counter is a Joomla extension with the possibility to count not only the visitors but also their countries. The web services of geolocation servers are used for this. The respective servers can be used all or selectively. If no server was selected, the assignment and counting of countries is switched off.
Note that jsvisit only counts - IP addresses of visitors are not stored in the database or otherwise used.
A package with three Joomla extensions is provided for using jsvisit Counter. The jsvisit counter system plugin counts users and their countries. The jsvisit counter modules provide the display of these counters on your website and on your Joomla's admin backend.
1. Installing the packageYou may install jsvsit counter on your Joomla site via 'Install from Web Catalog' method because jsvsit counter is available in Joomla's Extensions database. Alternatively, carry out the following installation steps:
- Download the jsvsit counter installation file from my website
- Login to your Joomla as an administrator
- Select in the menu: Extensions >> Manage >> Install
- Select the tab: Upload package file
- Click the Choose File button
- Select the package file you downloaded earlier
- The upload and installation will start automatically
jsvisit System Plugin
The counting method can be influenced using the jsvisit System Plugin. A visitor is always recounted when he visits the page again after a defined period of time.
An example: In the jsvisit plugin, this period was set to 300 minutes (5 hours). If visitors visit the page again within the next 5 hours, they will not be counted again, only if more than 5 hours have passed since their last visit. However, this logic requires that cookies are allowed on your website for the use of the time interval. If this is not the case, the visitor counter becomes a hit counter because every page view is counted
If you set the time interval to "0", the visitor counter becomes a hit counter, because every page view is counted.
With plugin option "Ignore bots" you can prevent bots (e.g. from search engines) from being counted as visitors.
The jsvisit counter plugin also defines the deployment and use of Geolocation Server. The respective servers can be used all or selectively. The following servers are supported:
If you have not selected any of the provided server, you switch off the assignment and counting of countries.
jsvisit Counter ModuleOpen the setup menu for modules in the Joomla admin backend via "system->site modules" Click the "New button" in the menu and then select the module "jsvisit Visitor Counter". This opens the HTML form for configuring the module. Please use the necessary information for the configuration with the option "Toggle inline help" in the form. This displays help-texts for the respective module settings. Furthermore, take care on the other necessary Joomla settings (e.g. "Position", "Status", Menu assignment, etc.). For example, you can use the "Advanced" option to select one of the provided module layouts.
The jsvisit Module provides 20 different Layouts for counters. These layouts may be customized or extended with own styling information for counters (e.g. visit digitmania where you will find more than 700 different counter layouts)
Counters and layout of the counters are determined by two files. On the one hand the counter image (saved in the directory "../media/mod_jsvisit_counter/images") and on the other hand the file for the properties of the counter image: "counter.props" (from the directory "../modules/mod_jsvisit_counter"). Here you can check all the supplied counters (or your own counters) and see the definitions from "counter.props":
The jsvisit module provides following options:
- display options
- Setting of counter to initial or new value
- Number of digits of counter
- Type (layout) of counter
- Random selection of counter type
- Number of displayed countries
- option to set decimal places for perent values
- Option to show today's and yesterday's values
- Option to show this week's' and last week's values
- Option to show this month's and last month's values
- New: Option to show this year's and last year's values
- Options to set module layout (four layouts provided)
- usage options of counter values
- Use today's or yesterday's values
- Use this week's or last week's values
- Use this month's or last month's values
- New: Use this year's or last year's values
- Use count of all visits (default)
- do not use (display) counter
jsvisit Counter Administrator ModuleOpen the Joomla Admin Backend Home dashboard and select "Add module to the dashboard" and then select the module "jsvisit Admin Counter". This opens the HTML form for configuring the module. Please use the necessary information for the configuration with the option "Toggle inline help" in the form. This displays help-texts for the respective module settings. Furthermore, take care on the other necessary Joomla settings (e.g. "Position", "Status", Menu assignment, etc.). For example, you can use the "Advanced" option to select one of the provided module layouts. Note:
The module title is set by the module code using language key "MOD_JSVISIT_ADMIN_TITLE". To change this default module title select option "Language overrides" on admin backend menu "System". Select desired language for administrator and create key "MOD_JSVISIT_ADMIN_TITLE" with your own title text.
Configuration OptionsThe options are the same as the jsvisit Counter Site-Module
- Version 2.1.5 (Build Level 184.108.40.206) with this version you will get an updated country names table based on ISO-3166. Note that you may have to change your language overrides as your used country names may have changed
- Version 2.1.4 (Build Level 220.127.116.11) added language support for spanisch language - many thanks to
- Version 2.1.4 (Build Level 18.104.22.168) now contains yearly counters for current and last year.
- Version 2.1.4 (Build Level 22.214.171.124): Code has been changed to run with php version 8.2 and has been successfully testet with Joomla Version 5.
- the latest Version of jsvisit now contains an admin module. Installation via download/install from:
- With version 2.1.3 you can now prevent (Ro)Bots from being counted as visitors. Module "mod_jsvisit_counter" now supports the selection and display of different counter values. Build Version 126.96.36.199 code has been changed/updated to support the PostgreSQL database.
- Build 188.8.131.52 corrects/adds suppoprt for language tags, "de‐AT", "de‐LI", "de‐LU" and "de‐CH"
- In version 184.108.40.206 of the jsvsit module, the multi-language support has been adjusted (the prefix "MOD_JSVISIT_COUNTER" has been added). Users using own customized module layouts need to change the following keys in the Joomla "Text::" function in these layouts:
old key new key COUNTRIES MOD_JSVISIT_COUNTER_COUNTRIES COUNTRY MOD_JSVISIT_COUNTER_COUNTRY VISITORS MOD_JSVISIT_COUNTER_VISITORS TODAY MOD_JSVISIT_COUNTER_TODAY YESTERDAY MOD_JSVISIT_COUNTER_YESTERDAY THIS_WEEK MOD_JSVISIT_COUNTER_THIS_WEEK LAST_WEEK MOD_JSVISIT_COUNTER_LAST_WEEK THIS_MONTH MOD_JSVISIT_COUNTER_THIS_MONTH LAST_MONTH MOD_JSVISIT_COUNTER_LAST_MONTH TOTAL MOD_JSVISIT_COUNTER_TOTAL
You now may define the numbers of decimal places for displaying of perent values in the module settings.
- With version 2.1.2 you can now optionally select or switch off servers for the country assignment. In addition, you can now also check the connection and the functionality of these servers.
- Version 2.1.1 has been changed and successfully tested to run with Joomla Version 4.
Language supportThe jsvisit counter module supports the Joomla interfaces for different national languages. It has a built in support for these languages:
- English (United Kingdom)
- German (Germany, Austria, Switzerland, Liechtenstein, Luxembourg)
- Dutch (Netherland)
If the jsvisit counter module does not support your used content (site) language, then there is a simple way to provide the necessary language strings for your site using joomla's language override feature.
Select option "Language overrides" on admin backend menu "System" -> "Manage". This will open the overides view with option to select your site's language. Once you have selected your site's language, you may enter new language contants (keys) and their related text strings. E.g. to provide a spanish translation for "today" you would enter contant "MOD_JSVISIT_COUNTER_TODAY" and its text value "hoy".
For the jsvisit counter module you will have to define these nine contants and their text values:
The following should be considered and understood:
- The country name to be displayed is created from the country's database entry and the associated language key.
An example:The database entry in table "#__visitors_country" contains the value "United States".
This is used to build the language key "MOD_JSVISIT_COUNTRY_UNITED_STATES". If this key exists in the Joomla language files (language ini-file or in the overides ini-file) for the specific language, the key value (e.g. "USA") is used. However, if the language key does not exist, the database value is used for the display (i.e. "United States" in this sample) of the country name.
If you want to use your own name or correct the country name, you may change the name in the database or (much easier!) define a language key for the name stored in the database via "Language Override" in the Joomla admin backend. The following nameing for the creation must be observed:
- The country name must be changed to uppercase.
- Spaces in the country name must be replaced with an underscore.
- Brackets within country name are removed
- The key itself is then formed with the prefix "MOD_JSVISIT_COUNTRY_" plus the changed country name.
Download jsvisit - Visitor counter
jsvisit is free software (as is Joomla!) - however you have to adhere to the GPL-lincense conditions to use it. Please learn more about GPL and free software at GNU Org.
To download jsvisit please click the download button: